Belgian relegation conflict investigated in crime probe
Possible match-fixing that dynamic a predestine of dual top-flight teams are partial of a widespread examine into crime in Belgian football.
Several comparison total have been incarcerated following military raids, with 5 people charged on Thursday.
Two distinguished agents and Club Brugge’s Ivan Leko were detained, nonetheless a manager was among 6 after released.
Two games are underneath guess – involving Mechelen, relegated on idea difference, and Eupen, who survived.
Those matches are Eupen’s 2-0 better by Antwerp on 3 March, partial of a penultimate weekend of a unchanging joining season, and Mechelen’s 2-0 win over Waasland-Beveren on a final weekend, on 11 March.
Despite Mechelen’s victory, they were relegated, while Eupen scored 4 goals in a final 20 mins opposite Royal Excel Mouscron to win 4-0 and survive.
The Belgian prosecutor’s matter suggested these details:
- Searches were carried out during RSC Anderlecht, Club Brugge, KRC Genk, KV Kortrijk, KV Mechelen, KV Oostende, Sporting Lokeren, AA Ghent and Standard Liege
- In addition, there were searches during a homes of 6 football bar house members, 4 agents in a football players’ market, dual referees, one former lawyer, an accountancy bureau, dual jewellers, dual journalists, a tutor and “some probable accomplices”
- Luxury watches, dull fine watch boxes, wealth and money have been seized
- Agent Dejan Veljkovic, who has been charged, is purported to have set adult financial schemes with clubs – including KV Mechelen, KRC Genk, Sporting Lokeren, Club Brugge and Standard Liege
- Referee Sebastien Delferiere and officials of KV Mechelen and Waasland-Beveren are also among a 5 people charged
- Mogi Bayat, another agent, is suspected of carrying manipulated a send of several players in sequence to maximize his possess fees during a responsibility of other parties